As we tucked Jack into bed tonight I stared down at him as I always do. Alissa was getting something on the dresser and Jack looked right into my eyes. What I saw in his face wrapped up the entire weekend.
I got home early on Wednesday and did not return to work until Monday. It snowed the entire weekend launching white frozen flakes down to earth every minute of the day from Wednesday until Sunday morning. Jack's cousins came into town and stayed the whole weekend. We traveled and did Christmas in several spots opening presents, playing with gifts and friends.
Jack has shoveled, sledded, fallen, ran, opened presents (...and not just his), played, ate, played some more, jumped, ran x 4, watched movies, spotted new tractors, thrown snowballs, talked on the phone, wished merry Christmas, ran x 6, rode in the van, NOT napped, up at 5:30 AM every morning, discovered, hurt himself, conversed, negotiated, ran x 8, jumped x 5, still up at 5...this time 5:15, invented, de-clothed, bathed, brushed, braved wind chill and battled until it was all over.
At dinner Sunday night he sat next to me with all the family at the table staring into his own abyss. Until he fell asleep while eating a chicken nugget. He litterally asked for a nap. That is how you live life. As I saw his face tonight, all 5 inches of it's diameter, I noticed the scratches, the wind burn on his cheeks, the exhaustin in his eyes, the messed up hair and the scars from the weekend. It was all I could do not to laugh. So I smiled. He gave me one back. So full his wind burnt cheeks puckered up and his final grin of the weekend was from ear to ear. Did Jack win the day? He won the weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment