Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Unsolicited Wake Up Call

While trying to find my things and get out of the house this morning I hear a little voice; "Daaaaaaaaaddy......Daaaaaaddy." Jack is up. 4:55 in the morning my Son is ready to start his day. I rush upstairs and have it in my head that I will get him back to sleep so my wife can stay in bed for a while longer before starting her day. My eyes have already adjusted to the light so when I open his door I cannot see a thing. I begin my approach to the bed, arms out in front as not to start my day with a stubbed toe or knee. As I near the bed I hear a little voice whisper: "I got out of my bed Daddy. I got out of my bed." It is coming form the head of the bed but on the floor. There my Son sits on his knees ready to start his day.

In my head I feel that I will be successful using logic to explain to Jack why it is still bed time. I pick him up (noticing he is wet through his jammies) and proceed to take him over to the window. I open it up and show him that it is still dark outside. With the moonlight shining, the ground was glowing white. This gets Jack even more excited as he tells me "It's snowing Daddy! It's snowing!" He did not go back to bed. I got him even more excited to stay up.

On my way to work I reflect on the day before but this morning I thought about Jack and our encounter. What a zest for life he has. Sleep means nothing to him because there is so much to experience. I think there is a lesson there. I don't like waking up at 4:55 on Saturday but my Son is creating more time for us to spend together. What could be better than that?

1 comment:

  1. That's a good story! I was talking to my grandma earlier today, and she was remembering the time when you guys brought Jack over - she was all smiley talking about him! -Nika

    ReplyDelete